GPS - Compass - Heading

• Hi there, I'm new to the Spresense. I understand every GPS has a compass inside, I checked some information out but I couldn't find the following details:

1)- How can a specify the north I want to use ? (Magnetic, Geo, etc)
    2)- How do I get the heading ? By heading I mean the current device orientation, not the desired direction like in a GPS (bearing)

Nice to see all these people using this board!
    Cheers,
    Carlos.

• DeveloperWorld

Hi @CGM11,

Unfortunately, the current implementation does not support these features.

You can find more information about GNSS on Spresense here:
    https://developer.sony.com/develop/spresense/developer-tools/get-started-using-nuttx/nuttx-developer-guide#_gnss

Best regards,
    Kamil Tomaszewski

• OK, don't worry, I have a separated magnetometer. Are those features on the pipeline ?

Thank you for your answer.

• DeveloperWorld

Hi @CGM11

Hi there, I'm new to the Spresense. I understand every GPS has a compass inside, I checked some information out but I couldn't find the following details:

I'm not an GPS expert but I think that the GPS heading is simply calculated between two or more points. So if you're standing still the GPS heading will not be accurate. I

1)- How can a specify the north I want to use ? (Magnetic, Geo, etc)

2)- How do I get the heading ? By heading I mean the current device orientation, not the desired direction like in a GPS (bearing)

For Q2 I'm pretty sure you will have to have an external ecompass.

• Hi @TE-KarlKomierowski Thx, I don't need a superb accuracy, I use it to know where the camera is looking to in order to tell other devices that a "subject of interest" be it a Jaguar or a Human is going in that direction once the subject runs out of the visual scope of one the camera (a multi camera tracking scenario)

I integrated one already (I don't wan't to keep it, for power consumption and simplicity reasons) but I wanted to know if I have to design the case including that part or not. I will keep it for a while then.

Have a great day. You guys Rock!